Man appears in court charged over death of boy, 12, who was killed as he walked on M62 in horror crash | The Sun
A MAN has appeared in court today charged over the death of a 12-year-old boy who died while walking on the motorway.
Callum Rycroft was struck by a Toyota C-HR while on the eastbound carriage of the M62 on Saturday night.
Police believe he was walking on the motorway with a man after an earlier crash involving an Audi Q5 on the slip road to Hartshead services.
Matthew Rycroft has been charged with causing or allowing the death of a child and driving dangerously.
The 36-year-old, who is also accused of failing to provide a specimen, appeared at Leeds Magistrates' Court today.
Wearing a grey prison tracksuit, he appeared to have injuries to his face including cuts and bruises.
Read more news
Tributes to woman, 71, ‘stabbed to death at home’ as man held for ‘murder’
How cops know killer ‘snatched’ girl in 1978 – & why body may never be found
Vanessa Jones, prosecuting, told the court the offences were “all part of the same incident”
Rycroft, who sat with his head bowed, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during the brief hearing.
He was remanded into custody to next appear at Leeds Crown Court on September 5.
Police were scrambled to the M62, between junctions 25 and 26, at around 9.50pm on Saturday.
Most read in The Sun
BBC's Nick Owen, 75, reveals moment he learned of 'aggressive' prostate cancer
Cha Cha Slide creator DJ Casper dies aged 58 after cancer battle
Sandra Bullock's partner dies aged 57 after secret motor neurone disease battle
Martin Lewis' urgent warning as anyone with savings account could lose £1,000s
Officers believe Callum was trying to make his way from the central reservation to the hard shoulder when he was hit by the Toyota.
The horror followed a separate, single vehicle crash involving the Audi earlier that night.
Paying tribute to her son, Callum's mum said: "Callum was a beautiful happy soul who was unique, great fun and larger than life.
"He brought light, laughter and noise into any room.
"Callum had a massive impact on everyone who met him. The house is so quiet without him here.
"We are devastated at what has happened and request that people respect our wish for privacy at this difficult time.
"We are very grateful for the support and kind comments we have received."
A 47-year-old man arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving has been released on bail pending further enquiries.
Source: Read Full Article