Who is Mark Gordon? | The Sun
AFTER 54 days on the run police have located Mark Gordon and his partner Constance Marten.
However, the couple's one-month-old baby is still missing as police desperately search the area where they were found.
Who is Mark Gordon?
Mark Gordon is the partner of Constance Marten and the father to her child.
The couple are reported to have met in 2016.
Gordon is a convicted sex offender who served 20 years in a US jail for rape and battery.
He was found guilty of attacking a woman in Florida when he was just 14.
Read More in News
Cops fear missing baby is at ‘high risk’ and they may have left it out in open
Cops give major update on search for baby after temperature plunged to 1C
He served his sentence in the US before being deported to the UK in 2010 and placed on the sex offenders register.
When did Mark Gordon go missing?
Mark Gordon and his family vanished on January 5 after their car burst into flames in Bolton.
They were on the M61 motorway at the time the blaze destroyed the car.
It's believed before they disappeared, Marten withdrew £15,000 of cash and the pair bought burner phones with multiple sim cards.
Most read in The Sun
Cops fear missing baby is at 'high risk' and they may have left it out in open
Broadchurch star Andrew Buchan walks out on wife after falling for co-star
Heartbroken I'm A Celebrity star reveals sudden death of husband
Bargain high street chain closing shops – full list of locations affected
They are believed to have spent time sleeping rough and travelling the country using cabs after being spotted buying camping equipment from an East London Argos on January 7.
Before they were found, the pair were last seen with their baby in Newhaven, East Sussex, on January 9.
CCTV captured images of the hooded pair dumping their child's pram in the port town.
Where was Mark Gordon found?
Following a nationwide search, Mark Gordon and Constance Marten were found on February 27, in Brighton after a tip-off from a member of the public.
They had been seen walking off the Sussex Downs by a member of the public who then rang 999.
Their child was not with them at the time police arrived to the residential street shortly before 9.30pm.
A Met Police spokesman said: "Shortly before 9.30pm on Monday, a member of the public reported a sighting of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon in Stanmer Villas, Brighton.
"Officers from Sussex Police attended the location and the pair were arrested. They remain in custody.
"The baby is still missing and an urgent search operation is taking place in the area.
"Anyone with information that could assist the search is asked to call 999."
As police continue to search under cars and behind bins this morning in a bid to find the newborn, Constance and Gordon have been arrested on suspicion of child neglect.
The pair have so far refused to tell police the sex of their baby.
Police say they are still hoping the baby is alive and have appealed to anybody who might be looking after the child to come forward.
DSI Lewis Basford from the Met police said: “We can’t say at this time if it’s a boy or a girl and we are still awaiting test results from the placenta found in their car on the M61.
“At the moment, we are still in the position where they have been arrested on suspicion of child neglect and there is a search for the baby.
“We are looking at open land, outbuildings where they may have placed the baby while they were in the local area before we arrested them.
“There’s nothing to say they were in the caravan, we still think they were living in the outdoor environment and that is leading us, and the arrest location, to the outdoor search.
“I think, we’ve got to keep the hope that maybe they have allowed somebody else to care for the baby who thinks they are doing some good on behalf of the couple but as we know, as the temperature drops and the longer the baby goes without parents the risks are high.”
Police are also appealing to local residents to check their own properties in assistance with the search.
Read More on The Sun
Major supermarket makes huge change to meal deal – but shoppers will be divided
B&M launches massive 75% off everything in closing down sale
DSI Bashford continued: “We are asking the public to remain vigilant in the local areas as they go about their business but also to look at the premises that they own – any outbuildings and their own property.
“Please take five minutes to take a look at those and assist us in the search for the baby.”
Source: Read Full Article