Warning after nine Brit tourists were victims of sex attacks
‘Horrifying’ rapes that have rocked Europe’s party hotspots: Warning after nine Brit tourists and one Irish woman were victims of sex attacks in Majorca, Greece and Portugal this summer
- Two alleged sex attacks on British victims were reported in four days in Magaluf
At least nine British tourists and one Irish woman have now been victims of alleged rapes and sex attacks while holidaying in Europe this summer – including two in four days in Magaluf this month, MailOnline can reveal today.
The shocking tally of assaults, many of them filmed, came after a young Briton claimed she had been gang-raped in a Mallorcan hotel room by six men who made at least 20 videos of her torment.
The case has caused disgust amid claims that police are now hunting for two more tourists who they believe witnessed the alleged gang-rape at a hotel but did nothing to stop the attack.
Five French tourists and a Swiss man have already been arrested after a British teenager was allegedly filmed being at the BH Mallorca Resort in the party town of Magaluf. The judge in the case is believed to have been shown at least one of the estimated 20 videos made of the incident.
Katie Kempen, Chief Executive at the charity Victim Support, said the reports are ‘horrifying’ and women should be free to enjoy themselves without the fear of being attacked. Meanwhile the Foreign Office said it has provided additional training to staff to better support victims.
MailOnline can reveal that there have been at least ten sex attacks on British and Irish tourists in the past two months – and three in the last 18 days alone. Most were in Greece and Mallorca – with one in Portugal.
MailOnline can reveal there have been ten alleged sex attacks on British and Irish tourists in popular hotspots over the past two months
Four sexual attacks on British tourists were reported in Mallorca over the past two months
A young Briton has claimed she was gang-raped in a Mallorcan hotel room by six men who made at least 20 videos of her torment. Pictured: Guardia Civil (police) out in Magaluf
The spate began on June 3 in Kiotari, Rhodes. A British female tourist, 20, was allegedly raped in the sea by a man she met online during her summer holiday in Greece.
Ten summer holiday sex attacks involving nine Brits and one Irish woman
August 14, Magaluf, Mallorca: Five French tourists and a Swiss man arrested after a British teenager was allegedly filmed being gang-raped at the BH Mallorca Resort.
August 11, Magaluf: A British 17-year-old was allegedly sexually assaulted by a taxi driver in the back of a cab.
August 1, Athens, Greece: A 21-year-old British woman told Greek police that she was raped by an Israeli man after meeting him in a nightclub in the Keramikos area of the Greek capital. Three of his friends allegedly filmed it.
July 19, Magaluf, Mallorca: Two Irishmen arrested after British tourist was allegedly raped. The pair were held at the airport as they tried to return to Dublin.
July 14, Playa de Palma, Mallorca: Police arrested six German men over an alleged rape of an 18-year-old German woman in a hotel.
July 5, Portimao, Portugal: A British tourist, 21, said she was dragged into bushes and raped on a popular Algarve holiday beach after getting separated from her friends.
July 3, Pefkos, Rhodes: A British tourist, 21, accused a 47-year-old Greek man of raping her after picking her up at a pharmacy and driving her to his hotel.
July 2, Faliraki, Rhodes: A woman made a complaint over an alleged rape. The 20-year-old Irish national told police she had woken up at a beach with memory loss and feeling dizzy.
June 3, Kiotari, Rhodes: A British tourist, 20, was allegedly raped in the sea by an Albanian man she met online during her summer holiday in Greece.
The Briton, who has not been named, told police a 23-year-old Albanian man raped her on Saturday after they went for a swim at Glystra beach on the east coast of the island.
The young woman claimed the man, who she had been speaking to online for two weeks before meeting in person, then took her back to her hotel room in Kiotari where he attacked her and tried to rape her a second time.
On June 12 in Crete two teenagers were arrested after a British woman told police they raped her and filmed the act after she had consumed ‘large amount of alcohol’.
The 24-year-old unidentified Briton claimed the two 19-year-olds took advantage of her inebriated state in her hotel room in Rethymno on the Greek island of Crete.
She alleged the pair, who are also British, filmed the sexual assault, according to Greek press.
A woman made a complaint over an alleged rape on July 2 in Faliraki, Rhodes.
The 20-year-old Irish national told police she had woken up at a beach with memory loss and feeling dizzy.
The following day, on the same island, a British tourist accused a 47-year-old Greek man of raping her in a hotel while on holiday, according to local media on July 3.
The 21-year-old said she was attacked at around 2am in Pefkos and made a complaint to the local police hours later, prompting a case to be opened.
According to Greece’s ANT1News, the young woman claims the older man took her from a ‘health care store’ in Lindos, found on the south of the island, to a hotel in Pefkos – the main city on the island that sits around 15 miles from Turkey.
On July 5 police said they investigating the alleged rape of a British tourist who was dragged into bushes on a popular Algarve holiday beach after getting separated from her friends.
The woman, 21, told police the sex attack took place on the sand by a walkway at Praia da Rocha beach in the municipality of Portimao.
Police were alerted around 5am by the Brit who contacted them at a tourist assistance office near the beach.
Spanish police arrested six German tourists for allegedly raping an 18-year-old German woman on Mallorca on July 14.
Police on the Mediterranean island said the alleged gang rape occurred in a hotel room in the popular tourist spot of Playa de Palma. Five were arrested within hours and a sixth, who initially fled the scene, was arrested later in the day.
There have been two alleged sex attacks on British victims in four days on Magaluf
Five days later in Magaluf, two Irishmen were arrested on suspicion of raping a British tourist in a hotel on July 19.
The Briton, who has not been named, told police she had been attacked by the two men in a hotel room in Calvia by Magaluf in the early hours of the morning.
The Irishmen had reportedly fled the hotel before they were arrested by police officers at the airport as they tried to return to Dublin.
A fortnight ago on August 1 a 21-year-old British woman told Greek police that she was raped by an Israeli man after meeting him in a nightclub in the Keramikos area of the Greek capital. Three of his friends allegedly filmed it.
There have now been two alleged sex attacks on British victims in four days in Magaluf.
Police are hunting a taxi driver said to have sexually assaulted a British teenager in the party resort of Magaluf.
The 17-year-old went to a police station with his mum to make a statement after the alleged early-hours incident in the back of the cab.
Respected island paper Ultima Hora said the youngster had told cops the cabbie began touching him up as they headed from party strip Punta Ballena to the tourist’s hotel before demanding he perform a sex act on him on August 11.
And on August 14 five French tourists and a Swiss man were arrested after a British teenager was allegedly filmed being gang-raped at the BH Mallorca Resort.
Three incidents have been reported on the Greek island Rhodes, including one victim, 21, who accused a 47-year-old Greek man of raping her after picking her up at a pharmacy and driving her to his hotel. [Stock Image]
The rape suspects remain in prison after being remanded in custody by an investigating judge heading the ongoing criminal probe.
The 18-year-old is understood to have returned to Britain on Wednesday night with a female friend she had had travelled to the Majorcan party resort with after receiving help from consular officials.
Katie Kempen, Chief Executive at the charity Victim Support said: ‘Recent accounts of rape and sexual violence experienced by British women while on holiday abroad are horrifying. Whether in the UK or elsewhere in the world, women and girls should have the freedom to enjoy themselves without the fear of being attacked or assaulted.
‘Crucially, though, women should not carry the responsibility for keeping themselves safe. We often hear questions about how women can protect themselves in public places – we should instead be asking why people commit these crimes, how to stop them doing so and get justice for survivors.
‘For anyone affected, you are not alone. Independent support services, like Victim Support, offer free, none-judgemental support to help you talk through your options – and you do not have reported to the police to get help from us. Call our free 24/7 Supportline on 08 08 16 89 111 or get in touch via LiveChat on our website.’
A Foreign Office spokesman said: ‘We take all reports of sexual assault of British Nationals overseas seriously.
‘Our trained consular teams are contactable 24 hours a day, ready to offer support and advice to British Nationals, including on how to report such crimes overseas.
‘We have provided additional training to consular staff in this area to offer greater support to rape and sexual assault victims.
‘We work with foreign governments, law enforcement agencies and specialist partners to reduce the incidence of and improve the response to these crimes.’
Source: Read Full Article