Tragedy as teenager 'killed by single punch in vicious attack' after brawl breaks out outside nightclub | The Sun

A TEENAGER was tragically killed by a single punch in a vicious attack after a brawl broke out outside a nightclub, a court heard.

Steven Thompson, 19, was out in South Tyneside last August bank holiday weekend when he was attacked in the street.

The teen tragically passed away in hospital after the brutal attack.

Ian Hall, 41, of South Shields, denies manslaughter and is being tried by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court.

Leon Wildgoose, 22, and Dylan Ford, 23, both of South Shields have already pleaded guilty to the charge.

After a disturbance broke out outside Roxannes nightclub, Hall, who had also been out socialising that night, had headbutted another man, a court heard.

Read More in News

Heartbreaking tributes to nurse and her kids, 4 and 6, after horror ‘murders’

Love rat dad REKINDLES romance with Ukrainian refugee 3 months after split

Jurors were told Hall then hit or headbutted Mr Thompson and they both ended up on the ground.

The court heard Mr Thompson was then attacked by the two younger men, got to his feet again and was pursued across the road.

It was then Wildgoose reportedly threw a punch, from which "he never got up".

In a written statement Home Office Pathologist Dr Jennifer Bolton said it was the final punch that caused Mr Thompson's death.

Most read in The Sun


Katherine Ryan gives birth to third baby and shares adorable name and first pic


How Sussexes' examples of 'truth' in Netflix doc stand up to reality


Fate of beloved BBC comedy revealed after nine series on screens


World Cup final referee announced after Michael Oliver was sent home

She explained: "Steven Thompson died as a result of blunt head injury. It was head injury which led to loss of consciousness, followed by post concussive cardiac respiratory arrest and ultimate death."

Dr Bolton added: "The head injury has occurred as a result of forceful, blunt force impact. This impact has been caused by accelerated fall from standing height.'

And Dr Bolton said that said bruising on Mr Thompson's jawline was consistent with being caused by a punch which "rendered him unconscious."

"This punch ultimately was the cause of his head injury and ultimate death," Dr Bolton said, ruling out Mr Thompson's death being caused by violence earlier in the disturbance – when he went to the ground twice.

She said: "Mr Thompson had been able to immediately get back to his feet with no apparent ill affect.

"The earlier components can be excluded from causing the fatal head injury."

Dr Bolton said Mr Thompson had no bruising to his knuckles, which suggests he did not deliver any blow himself.

Prosecutors claim Hall's "aggressive actions" towards Mr Thompson "encouraged the other two to join in and attack Steven Thompson," alleging they all bear the consequences of what happened.

Hall denies manslaughter and the trial continues.

Source: Read Full Article