Girl, 4, in hospital with liver failure after eating Kinder Eggs, mum claims

A mum has claimed her four-year-old daughter has been hospitalised with liver failure after eating Kinder Eggs.

Gemma Gray has said she would buy her daughter Kyia Fenwick the popular treat every day after school, however now believes it is the chocolate that has led to her daughter spending time in two hospitals.

The 38-year-old from Maghull in Merseyside, Liverpool claimed it was the chocolate she had purchased that made her daughter very ill.

Kinder's Surprise Eggs had been recalled by the company earlier this month due to a "potential link to a salmonella outbreak," Daily Star reported earlier this month.

Speaking to The Liverpool Echo Gemma said: "I always buy her Kinder Eggs after school – she lives on them, they’re her favourite thing. Kyia had no history of illness but she began vomiting about six or seven weeks ago. Gemma phoned a doctor, who said she was likely suffering from a bug.

"She was just vomiting. In the early hours of the morning, she’d wake up screaming and just vomit everywhere.

"She kept being sick every couple of days and then, in the night I noticed that her eyes were getting a tinge of yellow. When I woke up the next day, her eyes were yellow and her face was yellow."

  • Mum's horror as sleep app records creepy male voice asking 'Can I rip the sheets down?'

Kyia was admitted to hospital on March 31, where her liver functions were found to be worsening and her blood was clotting excessively, with the youngster placed on a number of medicines and diagnosed with seronegative acute liver failure.

Gemma has said despite being released from the hospital, Kyia is still poorly, saying: "She gets tired easily – she’s still not 100%, her eyes are still yellow, the yellowness on her face is going, but her eyes are still yellow."

Fearing Kinder Eggs had made Kyia sick, Gemma asked both hospitals if they were able to test for salmonella, but they did not. She said: "The Kinder Eggs is all that I can think of.

"All these kids are getting sick and the company has recalled them. I’ve put it down to that. She was a healthy girl – she wasn’t born with the condition, so it must be something she’s eaten or drank.

Gemma added: " My son doesn’t have them, so I think that’s why he hasn’t got sick."

The Daily Star has reached out to Kinder Egg's manufacturer, Ferrero, for comment.

On April 25, the company stated on its website: "We continue to co-operate with the UK Food Standards Agency, the Food Safety Authority of Ireland and Food Standards Scotland in relation to the ongoing salmonella investigations relating to Kinder products made in Arlon, Belgium."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article