Bonfire Night mystery over sex worker’s murder left unsolved for over 20 years

A brutal murder of a Yorkshire sex worker on Bonfire Night in 2001 remains unsolved as the killer is feared to be still on the loose.

Michaela Hague, 25, was savagely attacked and left with 19 stab wounds to her back and neck while the rest of Sheffield celebrated the annual festival. Despite one of the largest investigations in South Yorkshire Police's history, no one has been charged for the murder.

Michaela was found alive but died three hours later in hospital, providing crucial information about her attacker before she passed. She described the attacker as a clean-shaven white man, about 6ft tall, wearing a wedding ring.

READ MORE: 'Dine and dash' diners who splashed £489 on oysters and lobsters hunted by cops

Michaela said he was around 38-years-old and was dressed in a blue fleece and glasses at the time of the attack.

An E-fit of the suspect was created by the police and even shown on BBC's Crimewatch in an attempt to catch him if he had left Sheffield.

The police also started a nationwide search for the car used by the murderer.

However, he was never found.

Michaela was a mother to a five-year-old boy when she was murdered.

She had been working as a sex worker to support her heroin addiction just six months before her death, according to an inquest into her death.

Michaela was picked up and driven to a secluded car park in the city, opposite a pub known then as The Manchester, but has since been renamed The Harlequin.

  • Prince Harry and Meghan 'dreading' new tell-all book that may give Kate 'a voice'

What happened next is unclear, but Michaela was quickly discovered alive in a pool of blood by another sex worker who alerted the police.

An old-style blue Ford Sierra was seen driving away from the spot where Michaela was found.

Michaela's murder is one of two unsolved murders involving sex workers in Sheffield.

Seven years earlier, 19-year-old Dawn Shields was also killed while working on the streets. Her body was discovered by a National Park Ranger in a shallow grave after she was picked up in a car from the city's red light district.

She had suffered head injuries and had been strangled, according to reports following her death.

There is no evidence to suggest that the same man killed the two women, although a connection between the murders has been investigated in the past.

South Yorkshire Police are still urging anyone with information about either of the murders to call 101.

* This article was crafted with the help of an AI tool, which speeds up Daily Star's editorial research. An editor reviewed this content before it was published. You can report any errors to [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article