Adorable puppy miraculously survives 40-foot drop into frozen river from bridge

A puppy managed to make a 'miraculous' escape after falling 40 feet off a bridge and into a frozen river.

Monty the lagotto romagnolo crashed through the ice covering the River Ayr in Prestwick, Scotland, when he fell.

His owners were only able to look on in horror as the incident unfolded in January.

Phil Hobbins jumped into the water to rescue his 11-month old pup and rushed him to an emergency pet clinic.

Mr Hobbins said his family were out for a walk when the pooch had run towards the 19th century Oswald's bridge.

But the pup skidded and fell into the freezing water below following icy conditions brought on by Storm Darcy and subzero temperautes.

"There are no cars and it's a rural walk, so we didn't think anything of it," he said.

"But it was frosty and when he jumped up to have a look at the water, he skidded and fell over the edge.
"He dropped at least 40 feet onto the ice and went through into the water.

"That should be a fatal fall and if he'd gone over the middle section, where it was quite rocky below, it would have been.

"But he went over at an end where there was ice and water, which must have given him a chance."

  • Golden retriever disappears after seizure – but community rallies together to find him

Monty was rushed to the Vets Now clinic based in Kilmarnock, where he was given blood transfusions to keep him alive.

"Panic had really set in because his breathing was so shallow and slow," Mr Hobbins said.

"We were all upset and scared and the nurse took one look, picked him up and sprinted inside with him."

  • Mum sent 'depraved' videos of her having sex with puppies 'to keep boyfriend interested'

Senior vet Simon Patchett said: "(Monty's) gums were white, and his chest sounds were very abnormal.

"We did an X-ray and ultrasound scan and found he had significant internal bleeding.

"His chest was filling up with large amounts of blood and air, restricting his ability to breathe and we had to urgently deal with that.

"We placed drains into his chest, removed the blood that was building up and transfused this blood back into his veins."

Following the treatment, Monty made a full recovery and was able to return home four days later.

He was wagging his tail and 'full of beans' when the family went to pick the pooch up.

Mr Hobbins said it was a 'miracle' that he survived the huge fall that "should have killed him."

Source: Read Full Article