NYPD pushes for subway perv ban after accused creep is let back on the streets
A creep who was busted for repeatedly stalking and groping a 16-year-old girl on the subway was released without any bail, any resistance from prosecutors — or any restrictions on him returning to the rails.
Now, the victim has to fear running into him again on the train — and NYPD brass say it’s the perfect example of why predators must be banned from the subway.
“He’s out and she’s constructively banned,” NYPD’s Chief of Transit Edward Delatorre said Wednesday after speaking at a City Council public safety hearing.
“We’re backing into banning our victims, so to speak, because we won’t let our children back in the same line knowing that the perpetrator still has access to it.”
As The Post exclusively reported last month, New Jersey man Rajesh Gami, 59, allegedly followed the girl five times between February 15 and April 13 — then groped her butt and genitals.
The teen eventually worked up the courage to tell her school counselor, who called 911 — and the NYPD sent a special team of undercover officers to catch Gami in the act.
They were able to slap him with a slew of charges, including misdemeanor sex abuse, forcible touching, harassment and stalking.
But when Gami was arraigned in Manhattan on April 18, prosecutors didn’t even ask for bail as per the guidelines set by District Attorney Cy Vance and he was released pending his trial and just ordered to stay away from the girl.
The NYPD has long been pushing for lifetime bans on serial subway sickos — and Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said Wednesday that the laws need more “teeth” so offenders can be banned.
“We need some teeth in the law that we can simply exclude them. Whether it’s through a plea agreement, this is a larger discussion among … prosecutors,” said Shea.
But the Manhattan DA’s office and the MTA both refused to accept responsibility for keeping creeps off the subway.
A spokesman for the Manhattan DA insisted prosecutors have “no legal mechanism to ban people from the subway.”
“We have explained to the MTA that as owner and custodian of these properties, the MTA may issue trespass notices to these offenders, and the DA’s Office will support the issuance and enforcement of these notices in all appropriate cases,” Danny Frost, a spokesman for Vance, wrote in a statement.
The MTA — which has previously insisted it’s the job of prosecutors to get court orders keeping them away — said the laws need to change.
“We support legislation that would ban serial sex offenders and recidivists who attack transit workers from the subway and we look forward to working with the Governor and the Legislature to implement it into law,” it said in a statement.
Gami’s defense attorney Irving Cohen said his client denies the sex abuse allegations. Gami declined to comment.
Source: Read Full Article